England : York and London

Out of the country again, out of France, off to discover another corner of Europe. I took a flight from Nantes, after taking a bus to the airport. The only reason I add this small detail is that I had to run after the bus because I took the wrong bus only to have a great driver who, upon seeing the other bus that I needed, stopped for me and let me out to run after it. What an ordeal. Then I found out they did not take credit cards like the man at the train station told me (I had only four euros to my name) so I got the ride for free; I had no other option, not even a cash machine would take my card. I however do feel bad about the situation. I do not like to disrupt the order of things like that, but whatever. From the small Nantes Atlantic airport, I was off to London, to another small and obscure airport into which I think all the small budget planes fly. The price of getting into London by the Stanstead Express was as expensive as my round trip ticket to York (two hours plus by train). Airports sure do get you. I was thankful though that I bought a map of London upon arriving since it started to help me as soon as I arrived into the train station. I looked at the map and made my way to the next train station, about an hour and a half walk. I probably took a longer route, but it was nice to get out and walk and start to see some new things. I noticed right away the great street names, very English. I do not know how to describe it really, but I definitely felt like I was in England, or at least what I had perceived to be England. I could tell it was going to be a great weekend.
Taking the train right away from London to York, I was greeted by my two friends from North Central. It was such an amazing feeling to be greeted in the train station. I mean, it was just so much different than rolling into any other train station, so cold and lonely. A familiar and friendly face does make such a difference – amazing, huh? We took the cutest cab ever, not cute for the English because they are the only type of cabs that exist, but it was fun to ride in a vehicle very different from those I have ridden in before and of course on the “wrong” side of the road. Another little rabbit trail, in London they have “Look Left” and “Look right” painted on the streets because it is so instinctual to look in the wrong direction for the way that the English drive. I thought that was quite curious but sure effective. There was nothing like that in York, and let me tell you, there were a few times when I almost found myself colliding with a car. Ooops. Again, this demonstrates how we humans are so easily molded to think one way, but once we have formed a habit, it is so hard to break…once that instinct exists, it does not leave without a fight.
York is a great little English town and situated in such a beautiful area. I mean, it is very much the countryside; there is not much that surrounds York, but the countryside is luscious and green. Of course, that means that means that it rains a lot, which is unfortunate, but it does make for some really green grass and a sense of being in Emerald fairyland. It was exactly how I pictured, minus the sheep. I did not see any sheep. Maybe I have to go to Ireland to see sheep. Oh well. York is known for its Minster, which is a huge cathedral, built in a certain style between the 1300’s and 1500’s. There is of course the famous Westminster in London, the minster which I visited – York Minster – and another very famous cathedral in Canterbury apparently (according to my friend whom I was visiting who has been all around England since this is her second time studying abroad in England). It surely was impressive. We climbed to the top of the tower, achieving an impressive height with a fabulous view of the city. I love that about European cities: they are all so low that being at the height of a bell tower, you can see the roof tops and all that is situated in that town. I guess it is just a different type of curiosity, neither better nor worse than skyscrapers which are impressive and reveal a certain splendor in their own right.
During my stay, York University was hosting their annual Viking Raid. York has a rich history linked to the Vikings. I am not really familiar with that history since I chose not to go to the Viking museum (I mean it was about $12 and I am not THAT interested in what these people did for the region…you can always put a price tag on your interests!) So I cannot provide you with any information regarding these people, but I can say that their memory lives on through this crazy night, which is more or less a pub crawl, where students from all levels of the university dress up in colored shirts, included in the price of the event, and walk around town, some going as far to wear Viking helmets. I had a great time; what fun it was to see all those students walking around, wearing the same shirts and just making fools of themselves. I think there comes a point in those situations where you just stop caring about the silliness of the moment and of the reality of what you are doing and just enjoy yourself. That is what we did.
My last day in York was really when I did the most sightseeing and exploring of the city. I had gone into York the other two days as well, one time I even ran into the city by a route I did not know existed. I just followed a trail and ended up in the city center. I love it when I find random trails that lead to interesting places. It was a lovely day, which was wonderfully surprising considering that the other days were dreary and gray, inundated by rain and bad weather. My friend and I strolled around the town, walking through streets speckled with an energy emanating from all the people out and about. Old and full of character, I fell in love with the streets of York, and the bakeries that served pasties (pronounced paas-tee) which are kind of like pot pies rolled into a holdable and loveable pocket of yumminess. Oooh, I could have eaten 100’s. We were also on a search for Yorkshire pudding, something of which I had never heard before, but which my dad had mentioned to me, telling me that I should eat some for him and that they were delicious. Well, I am all about tasting the local cuisine, but as it turned out, it was a little more difficult to find them than I had originally thought. I had looked them up on-line to see exactly what they were, and really, they are only small quantities of cooked batter (flour, eggs and milk) that one serves with Sunday roast. Well, one I do not eat meat, but two, cooked batter, huh? I found one pub that served them, but it was filled with veggies and more like a meal in itself. I had just finished a delicious pasty, so I passed, but I later bought some in the grocery store and enjoyed them on my train ride back to London.
Oh London! I was only in this superb city for a total of 15 hours, but I absolutely adored it. I decided that it would be a waste of money and time to get a room for the night, so I thought to myself why not just stay in the train station or walk around all night…what an adventure that would be. Okay, I have to admit, I was getting a little nervous as I rolled into the train station, hoping that it did not close like I was expecting. I guess when faced with the reality of not actually having a room, it did not seem as glamorous as before. Fortunately, the Lord really blessed me with this one, there was a Starbucks in the train station, open 24 hours and home of a really great couch, where I plopped myself down and rested until 5:45 am. There was this one very strange thing that occurred while I was resting in that Starbucks…so it was about 5:20 or so and all of a sudden we heard the police over the loudspeaker telling everyone that they needed to exit the train station immediately because of an emergency situation. About 5 minutes before that announcement, I saw two police officers take off from the Starbucks, running. I have no idea what happened in those 20 minutes that we were outside, but what a curious event. Anyway, I started to walk, map in hand, iPod in my ears. There were not many people out, it being a Sunday morning and all. Of course, the city was well lit and I felt like I was off on a great adventure. My map was made for tourists, so it had all the famous sites one has to see in London, and I would say that in the 5 hours of walking non-stop around London (okay, two short breaks to rest my back which ached a little from the pack that I was carrying) I saw about 80 percent. I did not see anything in depth nor did I visit anything, but I saw them, and for me, for this time around, I was content. I saw Trafalgar Square, Big Ben, the Thames – in fact, I walked along this river for about an hour, seeing some very strange statues and light posts – the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Regent Park – I just walked past it while it was still dark, so maybe this does not count – Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London, the London Bridge, the Globe Theater, St. Paul’s Cathedral, and many other random things that one sees when walking through a giant city like London. I just love walking, and for many reasons; you can see more interesting aspects of a city while walking; it is cheaper; and it is good for the heart. However, I was exhausted by the time I got to the airport, exhausted but very satisfied by the adventure had in my 17th country visited.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

College Friends in China and Los Angeles

Mother-Daughter Trip to Ecuador