The Baguio Market

Back in Baguio

After only nine months away, I have returned to one of my favorite places on earth. People always ask me what place I love the best, and Baguio never crosses my mind, but if someone would ask which place has made the greatest impression on me, I would certainly highlight Baguio. How can a place have such emotional significance without the tourist appeal? Very easily: relationships. While volunteering here in Baguio, I formed some strong relationships that affected me on almost every level (spiritual, emotional, and cognitive).

I am back in the presence of people I know to be some of the most loving and generous people I have ever had the pleasure of encountering. So, for the next month, let me regal you with some stories and observations from the Philippines, Korea (I plan to go there for one week from February 1-8), and Happy Family Overseas Ministry.

The Baguio Market

One should not miss the Baguio market experience if travel plans lead you to Baguio. It is an impressive maze of vendors, hawkers, and mass humanity out to buy the necessities and the frivolous for the best deal possible. I adore the market—the raunchy smells, the sweaty touts, the mothers and children rushing about to find the components for the day’s or week’s meals—and the adventure of finding what lies beyond the next turn.
When I lived in Baguio, it took me quite a few visits and many occasions of losing my bearings to master the composition of stalls and stores. Uphill and downhill, I traversed the bumpy roads, leaping out of the way of jeepneys and taxis perilously attempting to navigate the market alongside the hoards of Filipinos, in search of coconut, fresh vegetables and tropical fruit (the yellow mangoes, small bananas, and papaya are my preferred treat).
On this occasion, I was in search of cheap flip-flops and some great shots with my camera. We hit the jackpot on buying rubber sandals for only 75 cents, and the natural light and fantastic colors of the market produced some superb photos.
With my companion, Hien, who is one of the junior staff members and a good friend, we explored only 1/3 of the market yet managed to see fish and seafood, 2nd hand clothes and shoes, fruit and vegetables galore, and various sundry items. It was a delightful foray into a very Filipino establishment. Perspiring and laughing, we jumped into a sparkling white taxi (it must have been new) and crawled out of the masses to take our edible treasures back to the school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

College Friends in China and Los Angeles

Mother-Daughter Trip to Ecuador