First Impressions of Senegal



After only a week, I think I could write 25 pages or more of my thoughts and impressions of this country. Rich in culture and natural variations, Senegal is an incredible country to discover. I look forward to the journey. Since arriving one week ago, I have taken my time in acclimating myself to the new challenges and delights I will encounter along the way. In a few paragraphs, I will attempt to describe Senegalese society and infrastructural organization. To think, my journey has only begun!

A Lo family reunion in Taiba Ndaiye


Family is a strong pillar of Senegalese society. Complicated and profound, the Senegalese family comports itself in a manner that elevates the importance of interpersonal connection and devalues individualism. The family with whom I am staying, the Lô family, lives in a suburb of Dakar called Pikine. Warmth of hospitality and weather conditions coincides, and I have experienced nothing but kindness and an overwhelmingly thoughtful welcome to Senegal. I look forward to encountering various families with whom I will reside in other cities once I venture out of Dakar.


Besides the fascination I have developed for the Senegalese family and its web of conduct and culture, I have remarked upon the difference in landscape from that which is close to the ocean and that which is inland. Thanks to tourism, the land near the ocean, both in Dakar and Mbour, an area known for its attractive beaches, has been much more developed than the interior, where the clash of poor infrastructure and disorganization of homes and markets forges a lasting impression in one’s mind. Everything is more agreeable near the ocean. This area is reserved for relaxation and escape from the messy activities of the interior.


As for me personally, I am enjoying immensely my time here in Senegal. I am still in the process of figuring out what I am going to do with my year here; however, I have begun the process of meeting with different organizations and learning about several social and economic projects in the works around Senegal. My goal is to see as much of Senegal as possible by working with people who are interested in improving their country. I am quite impressed with the Senegalese that I have met who are dynamically changing the area around them and binding together for a better future. The overcoming spirit of the Senegalese people is admirable, and I look forward to learning their language and writing about my perceptions as I enter more deeply into this country comprising roughly the size of South Dakota.


Tip #6 for Traveling on 25 Dollars a Day: When in Africa, find a local to help you use public transportation. The locals know best when it comes to public transport. Africa is a whole different world of adventure and suspense; yet there are still things you can do to save money, which you can use to buy unique souvenirs or splurge on exquisite and comparatively cheap accommodation. In Africa, your 25 dollars will go along way!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

College Friends in China and Los Angeles

Mother-Daughter Trip to Ecuador