Okra fields, cleaning house and Korean guests


The week flashed like lightening as I went about my tasks in the fields, the garden and the new dormitory that we rushed to clean and organize before a group of 11 Korean people came to visit us. I spent Monday and Tuesday scrubbing the bathrooms over and over again to scrape off the cement and paint that the careless construction workers left caked to the door frames, walls and floors. Our new building already has door handle problems (I locked myself in the bathroom, for instance, and had to climb out of the window to exit), plumbing issues and was built crookedly. Expecting a job well done here in Senegal is like waiting for a bus that never comes; good enough is their motto and well done is not in their vocabulary. I felt pleased with my work and know that I have made my small mark on the history of Beer-Sheba doing what I can to improve the property and the farm. I suppose that is what my all-encompassing goal during these short stays at project sites and in people’s homes: I want to be a blessing and I want to add value to people’s lives. 
They made 100 rolls or 600 pieces of kimbop!
Once the Korean group came, I did what I do best: serve and coordinate. I stayed overnight at Beer-Sheba and kept tabs on the Koreans, amazed at all the Korean food, toiletries and products they brought. I have never seen a better-prepared group in my life. They were friendly and certainly a blessing to us, but I was happy to see them leave, so my focus could be turned back to farming and gardening. Before leaving, they hosted a “Korean night,” which was a blast, as we all watched in awe at the smoothly flowing efforts of the Korean team as they cooked a feast of kimbop, salad, grilled fish and meat. After having worked a hard day out in the fields, we were all ready to eat until we popped. The night ended with an exchange of dances: the Koreans danced and sang for their guests and the interns sang in Serer and played drums for an adoring group of gentle people.
Aerating the field
Besides playing hostess and keeping house for the Koreans and the 13 interns, I worked out in the fields pulling weeds, putting manure on my okra plants and aerating the soil to help the plants grow better. We have a special tool for aerating the soil by hand and I have never experienced a more full-bodied workout in my life. My muscles are looking pretty good after three weeks out at Beer-Sheba! The weather has turned extremely hot while remaining quite hot. Rivulets of sweat coursed down my face and back while I worked, but a job well done is always satisfying. That is what I love most about farming: at the end of the day, I feel like I have accomplished something substantial and good, and I smile. 
 The Beer-Sheba kids
Tip #22 for Surviving in Senegal: During the rainy season, avoid turning your lights on outside. This attracts swarms of new insects that arrived with the rain. I could not believe the difference after the first rain; from relatively few insects to swarms of insects, lights make the number completely unbearable! Not only are there small insects, but also there are flying ants and black beetles that are particularly unpleasant. Welcome to the greener more insect-ridden Senegal. Thank God the farmers are happy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

College Friends in China and Los Angeles

Mother-Daughter Trip to Ecuador