One Week in Vietnam


Finishing up our evening snack of noodles, sticky rice and sweet bean soup
Three years ago I traveled to Vietnam as a tourist, and I left with an ambivalent impression of the country. This time around I returned to the country as the guest of my dear friends, redeeming my opinion of the country to the extent that I look forward to my next visit. What a difference being a guest makes! I stayed in the homes of my friends (two different homes and families) and visited their church communities and ate with their families and friends. I shared in the celebration of Jesus’ resurrection with them on Easter Sunday and was welcomed to be a part of their daily routines.
My friend Kim and her parents, my first hosts
I was blessed to have the chance to spend time with my friends and to see a more refreshing side of Vietnam. I prayed and read and ate a lot of good food, relaxing in the fellowship of my friends and their families (and bustling around on the back of their motorbikes). The week was a good opportunity for reflection before returning to the United States. I cannot believe that it has been 20 months since I left the U.S. on my long expedition to Senegal and the outermost parts of the earth. Now I’m turning the pages of my life’s book to a new chapter with unwritten tales of adventure and learning. I look forward to seeing what God will do in and through my life in the upcoming months. Good-bye Asia! Hello United States of America! 
The parents of my former students, Minh and Nha, who were my second hosts
We all had dinner with Pastor Bo Tham, whom I deeply admire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

College Friends in China and Los Angeles

Mother-Daughter Trip to Ecuador