Beginning my Internship on Finca la Amistad


Ecuador is a beautiful country, and I am blessed with the opportunity to learn more about agriculture in the majestic mountainous area of Ibarra, about two hours north of Quito. The sunsets are particularly alluring, and the weather is ideal albeit slightly chilly in the early morning and evening hours. 
 
I hope that my one turtleneck and flannel shirt will suffice for my two months here. If not, I can always head to the market in town and buy something warm!
My first week was wonderful, although my injured back keeps me from fully delving into strenuous farm work. I have tested my physical limits but the sharp pain in my side prevents me from tenaciously pursuing farm tasks, as I normally would. Hopefully I will have fully recovered by next week. I am learning to navigate the routine duties on Finca la Amistad and finding my place in the work. I think that I will be most useful helping the farm to grow vegetables in the greenhouse and in a newly planned plot in front of the house. 
They have animals (two sheep and one lamb, two cows and two calves, quite a few rabbits and guinea pigs, and lots of chickens) that I help feed and bring in from the pasture. The sheep and the cows keep the grass nicely mown, and the farm makes cheese, yogurt and kefir from the cow’s milk. I am learning to make all three, which is a dream come true! I am thrilled to be a full-time farming intern. It suits me well. There is a lot to learn, and I am soaking everything in with attentive ears and a willing hand to practice the concepts.

Comments

Unknown said…
Saw a friend post this to fb. I think this is really really cool!! As a greenhouse grower I wish I had the ability to do the same. I very much look forward to more post. Oh, and much luck to you and your back!!
Kelsey said…
Thanks, Nicholas. Where is your greenhouse? How many years have you been greenhouse growing? I am just starting out, so I am trying to soak everything in. Any recommendations for reading material?
Unknown said…
I have been growing in Whitewater WI for 8 years. Commercial Flower production. As far as reading goes it really depends on the ends you are attempting to achieve. If its the physical structure itself Ball's Red Book Volume II is the end all book. It isn't exceptionally long, however exceptionally informative. As far as growing goes, like my mentor always told me 'Listen to the Plants'. Listening to the plants isn't always as easy as it sounds, trust me I know. I am imagining you want to learn about some sort of sustainable food production? If thats the case, there are piles of books, not sure how affective any of them are. You are going to learn far more doing precisely what you are doing.
Kelsey said…
That is great advice, Nick. Thanks! I am from Fort Atkinson. When I get back, I would love to come and check out your operation. Are you growing organically?

Popular posts from this blog

College Friends in China and Los Angeles

Mother-Daughter Trip to Ecuador