Being an American Teacher with a Filipino Class

In my opinion, one of the greatest joys of being a teacher is attending to the cornucopia of personalities found in the class. This joy is even greater (if you are eager for a challenge) and more humorous when you are dealing with students who speak English as a second language. I have the advantage that, in the Philippines, students are taught from an early age to speak English. My students have all graduated from high school, so they read well and write fairly well; however the cultural differences, the laughter and the occasional moments of frustration (asking a question and waiting five or more minutes to watch the student struggle to communicate the answer) have certainly continued to test my sense of good teaching principles. I am constantly trying to reformulate words, slow down my rhythm and look into their eyes for signs of confusion or comprehension. 
I have also become a bit of a witty militant to maintain some order and teaching cohesiveness: I have turned my class into a prison, asking them to imagine shackling themselves to their desks during my period. Off to the bathroom, the kitchen or dorm rooms, the students are in a constant shuffle. My role is not to be a disciplinarian, but I figure a little self-control never hurt anyone. If I can teach for an hour and a half without exiting the class, I assume I can expect the same from my students. Teaching is about mutual respect and learning; and with appreciation for its challenges, I am growing and stretching my ideas at every turn.

What shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, 
and lose his own soul? (Mark 8: 36)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

College Friends in China and Los Angeles

Mother-Daughter Trip to Ecuador