Baguio Beauty

Of all the places I have traveled, I have to say Baguio takes the cake for the best climate. I mean, what could be better than cool temperatures in the morning (ranging from 45-55 degrees), which permits you to do your exercises without sweating and to savor the hot beverages we Westerners enjoy, while reaching warm to even hot temperatures in the afternoon (65-85 or even 90 once in a while), wholly confirming the tropical impression you might have when looking at the lush foliage. The day promptly ends after exactly 12 hours of sunlight (the sun rises at 6 am and sets at 6 am) with the cooling of the weather, giving you the opportunity to snuggle in your covers and throw on a sweatshirt, wool socks and a scarf (remember they do not have any heat). I absolutely love it. Plus, the Bible school is situated in the most beautiful section of town that is close to Camp John Hay, a former military rest post where weary soldiers would come for a little R&R. I can imagine why.

Added to the beauty of Baguio is the way that Filipinos and many people around the world dry their clothes. I love seeing the colorful laundry swaying in the breeze for all to see. There is a veritable celebration every time the sun starts to shine early in the morning because everyone knows that it is a good day to squat down on your haunches and get to work on the mounds of laundry we seem to generate. I actually relish the time spent agitating the clothes with my hands in the cold, fragrant and soapy water. It is a small sense of accomplishment to go through the cleaning process oneself although if I were as fastidious as the Filipinos (I swear they rub each piece of clothing within an inch of its fibrous life) I would quickly become enervated past the point of the enthusiasm I now feel for this household chore.
It is a joyful time to be here in Baguio with my friends and spiritual mentors. There is nothing like some of God’s green earth to make you appreciate your blessings when you wake up, roam around, and lay your head down at night. More stories to follow this wanderer who has uprooted from her little slice of heaven and has chased the cold, which I fled only a couple weeks ago. I am now in Korea visiting my dear friend, Ann. Enjoy the pictures!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

College Friends in China and Los Angeles

Mother-Daughter Trip to Ecuador