Making the Rounds

Generalizations are easy to make but rarely founded in truth; however I am confident in stating this generalization: there are few people who revel in the unknown. I am one of the few who is invigorated by the possibilities that exist in never establishing a firm program of pursuit. Since leaving Pikine at the end of September, my plans have changed multiple times, leading me to people and places I had not intended on visiting. Every step along the way has been blessed and intriguing, teaching me that frustration is a waste of energy and patience and adjustability are great virtues in any situation.


From Somone, I traveled to Diamniadio, which is built at the crossroads of a national highway traveling to the interior and to the south of the country. Along the sides of the road, travelers and vendors create quite a ruckus, belying the calm and tranquility of the countryside that prevails just beyond the small grid work of cement block homes. Rugged and dotted with baobabs and African brush, I discovered an exceptional running path and a breath-taking view of untainted Senegal. I spent a good part of my time in their outdoor kitchen where my “aunt” showed me how to cook Ceb bu Jen. I am confident that I will be able to cook the national dish of Senegal when I return home, minus the MSG of course ☺


After several days, I departed from Diamniadio to travel to Thiès to visit my “sister” and her family. She and her family live with her husband’s sisters and mother as well as several of the sisters’ children (about 20 people) in a quiet residential neighborhood. Apart from the very diverting company and the opportunity to read and relax, I partook in a very curious sort of Senegalese spectacle called “Les Faux Lions,” which literally means the false or pretend lions.

As strange as it might sound, a group of actors masquerades as lions that chase and scare children and strut around the neighborhood to the sound of drums and siren-like, discordantly musical voices. Behind the tarpaulin wall, paying spectators watch the “lions” dance and make fools of unsuspecting children. Altogether it was a unique experience in Senegalese street entertainment. I am blessed to have such a generous family here in Senegal and the opportunity to participate in the lives of those that welcome me into their homes. Life is about sharing in common experiences and showing love towards those around you.



Tip #10 for Traveling on 25 Dollars a Day: If you are on a long journey, exchange clothes with other travelers or locals along the way. Obviously, backpackers are quite limited in what their backpacks are able to hold on an extended voyage. It is likely that you will get very sick of your clothing after a couple of months of wearing the same ensembles. Make some friends and exchange clothing! Not only will both parties benefit from “new” clothes, but also you will save money in the process. Bartering and exchange are budget travelers’ best friends. Get creative! The more creative you are, the less money you will spend and the more diversified and original travels you will experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

College Friends in China and Los Angeles

Mother-Daughter Trip to Ecuador