My 26th Birthday




-->
This year I celebrated my third international birthday party. I added the Philippines to France and Senegal where I have hosted parties and celebrations in honor of another year of life God has given me to live on this earth. Life should never be taken for granted, and each day should be lived to the fullness of God’s grace. I remember that when I was 18, I thought I had nothing to learn and no improvements to make. (How prideful and foolish I was!) At the precipice of the impending adventure of my 26th year, I have humbly and joyfully realized the immensity of what I must learn and how I can change for the better service to my Father in heaven and to my brothers and sisters all around this great world. 
-->
I guess that it why I love birthdays so much: it is my personal Thanksgiving and my unique New Year’s celebration. I am always able to share in my thankfulness and rejoicing with those around me, and this year, I had quite the party! I planned a Mexican meal with beans and fried rice (the Filipino fusion I added to the mix), homemade tortillas and salsa and chocolate cake. I made two three-layer chocolate cakes, baking them in our 19th century wood-burning oven. Considering the lack of baking materials, I would say they were a great success. I was so overwhelmed by the chocolate and the sugar at the end of the day that I am completely avoiding sugar all day today! I made my guests wear their best clothes, and they came through—dressing up in dresses, skirts and formal wear. They even dressed up the tables with white tablecloths and purple banquet draping. A basket of flowers and leaves from the property artfully displayed served as a beautiful centerpiece to the head table.
The staff took me out to lunch before I taught my afternoon class. After finishing up the remaining details, I freshened up, put on one of my party dresses I had made in Senegal and along with some mascara and was ready for my party. The students flattered me with many compliments and truly made me feel appreciated and honored as the special guest—and host. We danced after dinner to high beat songs that riled everyone up to dance competitions and pure fun. With cake and coffee, we finished out the evening. The fellowship, dancing and food truly made this one unforgettable event and experience to add to my book of birthday memories.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

College Friends in China and Los Angeles

Mother-Daughter Trip to Ecuador