Everything is Growing


Upon returning to the farm from my trip around Ecuador, it amazed me how much had grown in those ten days I was gone from the farm. Although my garden was overgrown with weeds, the plants were thriving. I spent about 40 hours removing the weeds and tending the plants. Now, I smile every time I pass the ¼ acre plot. Everything has increased in size. With some rain and sunshine, my plants are thriving. In fact, I will be able to plant more seeds and transplant more plants because some of my crops have already been harvested and more room is now available for other vegetables. 
My potatoes are mounded and mildly mulched. Next week I will mound and mulch some more. 
Four rows of beans and corn
In the short two months that I will have spent here, I have been able to see growth and harvest of many different crops. The beans, corn and potatoes I had planted before I left on my trip have sprouted. My carrots are finally asserting their feathery fronds for all to see. Even the little lamb and baby bunnies have filled out. Nature and its dynamism exhilarate me. I am blessed to be a participant and an observer to the great work of God’s hand in wild and cultivated nature.
The granadilla harvest is complete, and the flowers are out. They are so fragrant!


These were planted a couple weeks before I arrived here. Now they are producing wonderful zucchini and yellow squash.
This lettuce I transplanted from small plants. They have grown beautifully.
My herb garden/fennel patch. What we thought was dill is actually delicious fennel.
These are white carrots. They take about five months to grow. They were planted before I arrived, so I have been tending them dutifully, and they are flourishing.
At the end of the work week, I am dirty but still very happy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

College Friends in China and Los Angeles

Mother-Daughter Trip to Ecuador