Celebrating 18 and a Happy Trip to Manila

The theme colors were red and black (I'm wearing a dress I had made in Senegal)
The Debutante and her 18 Candles
A couple weekends ago, I observed and participated in a cherished tradition among Tagalog Filipinos (one of the many ethnic groups found in the Philippine islands): the debut party, which commemorates the coming of age of 18-year old girls into adulthood and maturity. The theme is 18—candles, wishes, roses, dances and presents. (Certainly these are thematic and appropriately associated with the meaning behind the celebration, but these elements make for a long and drawn-out evening of revelry and feasting.) I was chosen to give one of the 18 presents, with an explanation of the reason behind my gift. I gave the debutante one of my scarves, which was made in Korea, received from a friend in Senegal and brought to the Philippines. I told her that if a scarf can easily travel around the world in strange patterns and my many different hands, how much more will the Spirit of God move in mysterious and exciting ways in her life! It was a beautiful, albeit slightly long-winded, way to celebrate the debut of a young girl beginning a new chapter on her personal journey.


The following weekend I traveled to Manila to visit one of the former staff members at the Bible school. We met in 2009 when I first came to teach at the Bible school; and we kindled a friendship that has consistently waxed strong. I was sad that she would not be at the Bible school this time around because she had to leave Baguio to move to Manila to start working upon the completion of her studies. Leaving early on Saturday morning, I arrived in Manila at the start of the day. We navigated our way through the busy streets of Manila in taxis, on foot, by tricycle and in jeepneys (the most common form of Filipino public transportation). Our hotel, Camelot, was full of medieval motifs, complete with statues of knights in shining armor. It reminded me of Medieval Times in Schaumburg, IL, which I used to love as an adolescent. We left the dirty and congested streets of downtown Manila for the more provincial suburb of Antipolo, where one of our Vietnamese friends is attending seminary. 

 
The view from the seminary was exquisite and made the whole trip worthwhile, not to mention she served us a delicious and fresh Vietnamese lunch made just to the liking of a vegetarian’s palate. After church and lunch on Sunday, I left on the 2 pm bus to return to Baguio. Even though the weekend was short, we filled our time reminiscing and encouraging one another. I am so thankful for our continued friendship and the opportunity we had to make this memorable weekend happen.

“I will sing of the Lord’s great love forever; with my mouth, I will make you faithfulness known through all generations. I will declare that your love stands firm forever, that you established your faithfulness in heaven itself” (Psalm 89: 1, 2).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

College Friends in China and Los Angeles

Mother-Daughter Trip to Ecuador