Fun with Baking

Sayote cake, similar to zucchini, served with tea from Senegal with my Tunisian tea set

I have been amusing myself lately by baking goodies for everyone, much to the pleasure of my students and the staff. When I first arrived, little Hannah (the five-year old daughter of two of the staff members) won a toaster oven during our church’s celebration raffle. Making cookies and scones has been fun in the little oven, but I use the wood-burning variety for my cakes and breads, which bake up very well in the rudimentary oven.
Three-layered chocolate birthday cake: chocolate overload and delicious

Carrot bread
One of the things I miss most about being in the United States is baking in a real oven with my preferred ingredients. I cannot wait to bake cookies and cakes and custards when I return home for the holidays! Although I have very limited baking resources, I have become very adept at making do in order to confection delicious desserts. The adage “where there is a will there is a way” befits my ability to transform simple ingredients into something tantalizing and memorable. I’m happy to have any oven to bake something. In Senegal, all I had was a charcoal or gas stove, which is supremely limiting in the culinary arena. Everything I make is exotic for my students, so they are always thrilled to be taste-testers. It has been a lot of fun cooking for an enthusiastic audience.


“You are my portion, O Lord; I have promised to obey your words. How sweet are your words to my taste; sweeter than honey to my mouth!” (Psalm 119: 57, 103)
My own recipe: toasted coconut scones filled with fresh coconut filling
Creamy rice pudding made with reconstituted whole milk from powder

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

College Friends in China and Los Angeles

Mother-Daughter Trip to Ecuador