Beaune, a jewel of Burgundy



I just visited one of the prettiest towns I have ever seen; Beaune (pronounced bone). Of course, it was pretty in the very European sense, with its ancient-looking homes and dazzling yet mysterious churches and lovely cafes and places to eat the most wonderful cakes ever imagined (I personally tasted one of these, and my goodness, I do not think that I have ever eaten something so delightful). Well, this trip was surely a unique experience --- very worthy of a story and surely of a blog post.

It is not a surprise, I do not think, to say that I am a bit stubborn in what I would like to accomplish. Today, I set out to discover Beaune, and that is what I did. However, it was a bit difficult to convince my employers that using the scooter was a good idea for going to this town. Apparently, they thought that the slow scooter that only goes, at its maximum, 70 km per hour was not a sufficient or safe way to travel. Not for me! I really had romanticized the idea in my mind…how lovely it would be to ride, open air, in a scooter that I could control pretty well.

I have never been an exceptional driver, but my family does not know that, so when I told them I was not afraid and really wanted to go and pestered them a little in some broken French (as it stands currently, when I really want to say something clearly, I begin to speak worse…go figure!) they broke down and in a kind of frustrated sigh, the father demonstrated how to fill up the gas tank and things like that and gave me directions to Beaune (of course, all in French). When he started to give me directions, I got a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach…a very vocal pit, that said something to this effect, “Are you crazy? There are two reasons why you shouldn’t go to Beaune by scooter. 1) You cannot even drive that thing very well. 2) You know you are going to get lost and then what are you going to do? Stay where things are familiar!” I ignored that very noisy pit, like I try to ignore most feelings of possible failure (occasionally to my detriment when I do not plan for another plan…plan A always seems so good that I never want to have a plan B).

Wouldn’t you know? I got lost immediately. I had not even left Seurre (where the café is located) when I did not find the sign that the father had said was so well marked for Beane. I felt so embarrassed and again questioned my sanity and my capability. I believe that everything happens for a reason and that I am in the Lord’s care at all times. Of course, I definitely feel the effects of my choices, but in the end, something works out; whether I had planned it that way or not is another question. So, yes, I did get lost immediately, but I found a gas station I also desperately needed and was able to ask for directions to Beaune. From there, I did not get lost!

Now, my romantic idea about going to Beaune by scooter was so close to actually materializing that it was almost palpable; unfortunately, it started to rain and that rain turned into a downpour!!! On the scooter was the last place I wanted to be. I asked God to turn off the water, but then felt a little guilty because what’s a little rain in the grand scheme of things, so I prayed for contentment, and it came, although a little furrowed in my brow (I wish we used that word more…brow --- I think it sounds so strong, but anyway…) By the time I parked my scooter, I was soaked to the bone, but the rain had stopped and I had many reasons to rejoice…I made it! I made a beeline for the local bakery to buy a dessert to drown my physical discomfort and wandered around looking like the most lost person you have ever seen, starting down one street then abruptly turning around and doing this several times until I was so turned around, I didn’t know what to do with myself. Oh, well, I eventually made it to a café for some coffee, ate my dessert and thanked the Lord that I had made it safely.

I had to carry around my helmet the whole day, so sometimes, I decided that it would be much easier to just wear it --- and that’s what I did. So imagine, this soaking wet girl, walking around aimlessly, looking lost and wearing a black helmet. I would just smile, but then again, I like to see weird people; it makes me feel at home. I maybe walked around 30 or more minutes (several different times) like that and even bought a small cake while wearing the helmet. At least I think I smiled reassuringly, like, “I know I have a black helmet on and I know that you think that I am a strange tourist, but I am okay with that.” It’s all about confidence, people!

My favorite experience in Beaune was visiting an 18th century wine cave then trying several wines that the cave owner makes. I tried two white wines, which were tantalizing, and then three red wines whose bouquets absolutely pleased my taste buds. There is something special about tasting wine in a region where it is produced. I met a woman in Beaune, from Paris, who said that wine has such an interesting culture with so much fanfare, all for something that is so superfluous. But, I think that it is not really that unique that people display such great affection for something unneeded. I mean, we don’t ever see grain tastings or maybe a whole town dedicated to the production and nuancing of spinach or something else that is a commonly needed item. People want to elevate the specialties in life because we all want to steal ourselves away from the mundane, at least once and a while, and I am surely no exception. What a blessing was the whole experience --- and not a drop of rain after I arrived and on my ride home. Truly a blessing from God.

Comments

The Montgomerys said…
I can definitely relate to the being lost story. I've been in Albania about 5 weeks now and there have been plenty of times that I've told someone "yeah, I know how to get there" only to find myself wandering through some neighborhood with a farmer and their cow giving me a funny look as I walk a few paces down one road, turn back and then do the same down the next road and then the next until I finally find my destination. Anyway...glad to hear that you're having a good time in France! I enjoy the blog.

-Dan

Popular posts from this blog

College Friends in China and Los Angeles

Mother-Daughter Trip to Ecuador