I am in France!!!

So, I am in France now, and my goodness, it is so beautiful. Picture a place that has been untouched my modern architecture, like siding on houses and wide roads and street lights. I have seen none of those here.
I live in a place called Lechatelet which is a small village of 140 inhabitants. The city in this area is called Seurre (pronounced sir), and it has the grand number of 2500 inhabitants. I do not think I can handle this type of metropolis :) I rode my bike here, and it took about 25 minutes for 7 km..okay, I am not that fast and I left my glasses at the house, oops! Oh, well, the cars seem to be familiar with bikers, but maybe not runners. There are very few runners in France, which is maybe why my family gave me the strangest look when I said that I was training for a marathon, or maybe it is because I am crazy for doing that, which may be universal...who knows?
I think that I am going to absolutely love it here. It is peaceful, and the house (of which I will later in the week post a picture) is right near a pleasant brown river, where, if I can get the gumption, I will swim and may even teach the other girl who is living with me and the family. Her name is Nga (pronounced Na) and she is 19, also studying French. The mother at the house is either fully Vietnamese or half, so it makes sense that she would like to have Vietnamese girls come here to help her with her small child. Nga and I get along very well. It is nice to have someone my age with whom I can speak French and get to know. It will be a lovely blessing.
What I love most is the people in this area. They are so nice and willing to talk. Today, on my way to the cafe, where I am currently - Le Jean Bart (pronounced leu jan bar) - and I got lost. Surprise! Even though my family said that it is impossible to get lost, well, not for me! I started to go down a road that was not a road and more like a path, and I thought, you know, this is probably not the way, so a lot of mud splatters later (it just rained), I turned around and stopped by the house of a man who was standing outside with a friend. I asked them how to get to Seurre, and they were so happy to help! It made me excited to say it in French although they said something after the directions that I did not catch. I am sure they figured I was foreign because I realized later that I used the wrong gender for a word. Oh, well.

Okay, so that's France for now, what a blessing from God. Tune in on Friday when I will have more updates. Peace!

Kelsey

Comments

Carrie said…
Bonjour ma cousine! I'm so excited to read about your adventures in France. You are going to have an amazing summer. J'taime!
Anonymous said…
Bonjour my lovely sister!!! you are too funny! I can't believe that you got lost, oh wait I can :) I hope that you are having an amazing time getting acclimated to France! It's going to be great to read about everything that you do! hopefully a french man will be in the stories soon ;) I love you soooo much and please be safe!!!! XOXO

Popular posts from this blog

College Friends in China and Los Angeles

Mother-Daughter Trip to Ecuador