Cows!!!


I decided today that I was going to run on some paths I had earlier seen. They were probably private property, but I didn’t see any signs and no one yelled at me, so I kept going. I encountered this beautiful little alcove nestled between some corn on one side and a couple trees on the other and facing the river. There I stopped to talk with God and really get some things off my chest. You see, the place where I am living is beautiful. Truly like a fairyland, but that is also a problem, because I find myself almost devoid of any real emotions or thoughts, like they have all melted away into a big vat of Brie cheese. I do not know, so there at that moment, I saw the nature and I regarded the calmness of the water, and I asked the Lord to give me the right perspective, a perspective centered on him and widen by the world and all of God’s creation. I was given a very deep peace from my Creator, a quiet assurance that this place, even though it is seemly without fault, is also a place where people are in need, is also a place where God’s glory is shown, and is also a place where I can grow as a person who desires to understand humanity and its pains and joys. That is how I left the small alcove.

Well, about 15 minutes later, as I continued my run, I saw in front of me a sight rarely seen. There were about 20 cows walking loose in the road. Two cars were trying to pass and two cyclists were also being detained by these slow and laborious animals. I weaved right through the herd, swinging to the beat of my iPod and swing my arms to the momentum of my legs. Fortunately I did not cause a stampede, but as I was slipping through two of the cows, I realized that it had not been my best idea ever, to run through a cowherd, one that was already rankled by the change in scenery and now disrupted by a quickly moving human. I could have easily been run over. What a way to go…I have often thought that I would die early, but always in a more modern sense, like getting run over by a car or something (I am not very observant when I run), but I think that I would prefer death by bovine; better headline!

Comments

FlowerGirl said…
Kelsey--how ''wisconsin'' of you to commune w/ God and then get COWS as the answer!

Popular posts from this blog

College Friends in China and Los Angeles

Mother-Daughter Trip to Ecuador